I regularly check through the top songs in the Rock, Country, AC, and Urban genres and, guess what… in all four genres a majority of the hits are collaborations. In the Country genre, in fact, ALL of the top songs are frequently collaborations!
Collaborating (co-writing a song with one or more other songwriters) has so many benefits that it’s worth putting some real effort into learning how to do it and finding compatible songwriting partners to work with. It may take some time, maybe a few false starts, but it can more than repay you in the long run.
REASONS TO COLLABORATE
- A collaborator can offer new ideas and nudge you out of old habits.
- If you fall in love with a line that isn’t working, a collaborator can point that out and keep the song moving forward.
- Working with a collaborator gives you added motivation, energy, and goals to meet.
- The cost of demoing your song can be half what it would be if you wrote it alone.
- Chances are you’re stronger in one area (lyrics or music) than another; a collaborator can add strength where you’re weak. Continue reading “Go Ahead – Collaborate on a Song”