Having trouble getting a song started? Try this idea: Just say “YES!” Here’s how.
Walking on the beach or…
Being hugged by someone you love or…
Petting your favorite animal or…
Playing a game with children or… anything you like.
- Write a list of phrases describing how you feel. Say YES to every phrase.
- Choose four to six phrases and put them in any order. Say YES to the order.
- Play a groove on guitar or keyboard or just tap your foot and clap your hands. Say YES to the groove.
- Sing a melody to the beat using your phrases. Say YES to the melody.
- Add chords that go with your melody. Say YES to the chords.
There’s your first draft of a verse or chorus. Keep saying YES until you finish your first draft. THEN you can rewrite.
Check out my new book: Song Starters: 365 Lyric, Melody, & Chord Ideas to Kickstart Your Songwriting. It’s filled with creative Song Starters like this one and it’s available at Amazon.com.
May your songs flow! – Robin 🙂
Find out more about all of my print and eBooks on my Author page at Amazon. In each book you’ll find dozens of useful, real-world shortcuts that will show you how to craft songs that work for today’s music market, plus dozens of hands-on exercises to get your creative ideas flowing.