Q: I usually get stuck on the first melody that I think of but all my melodies are starting to sound the same. How can I rewrite my melody?
A: Most of use know how to rework a song lyric to make it stronger but melodies are often left out of the rewriting process. Try these tips to work on your lead melody line:
1. Break up a series of similar lines into different lengths. Turn a long line into two shorter phrases or run two short phrases together by adding notes/words.
2. Change the pattern of long and short notes. Run short notes together or break a long note into short ones.
3. Change the note pitches. Add a jump up or down to grab attention. Use a high or low note to emphasize an important word.
4. Listen for the melody patterns in hit songs. This weekend rewrite one of your melodies using some of these ideas.
5. Use your lyric to suggest a new melody. Here’s a tip that will show you how: Uncover the Melody in Your Lyric.
Remember, you can always hit the “UNDO” button. 🙂 If you don’t like a change you made, then go back to what you originally had.